Wind River Tails & Trails
Service Dog & Pet Dog Training
Kennel-free Boarding & Daycare
Who Are We?
We are a one-of-a-kind facility that offers service dog, pet dog, and behavior rehabilitation training in a rural ranch setting in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley. We also offer overnight boarding and socialization-focused daycare services where our resident dogs get space to run and play in open, natural-grass yards and relax in our cozy heated barns 24/7.
We are part of the Wind River Family, which also includes the Wind River Bear Institute, Wind River Bear Institute Canada, and Picchio Japan; our sister-organizations utilize specially-trained Karelian Bear Dogs and handlers for wildlife shepherding work, saving hundreds of bears and other wildlife worldwide. Our training philosophy is based on the groundbreaking work and partnership-style relationship of our wildlife conservation teams and is an incredible way to have a lifetime of communication, trust, and respect with your canine family member–whether that family member is a pet or a hard-working service dog. We’re so glad you stopped by!
Want to spread some love for Valentine’s Day? We have a family that needs some help! Due to the increasing severity of her handler’s illness, Jazzy the Labradoodle had to come to us for Board & Train much sooner than anticipated. If you would like to help, please >> DONATE TO JAZZY’S TRAINING HERE << and read to learn more about Jazzy and her owner!
Check out some of our new and updated services! The highlights:
- Updated Therapy Dog Program Page
- Seminars and Information Resources for Service Dogs!
- We are now offering Training Sessions via Skype!
- Break the routine of an everyday hike and try something new: “Partnership Training.”
- Improve communication with your dog and better the quality of both your lifestyles.
- We train in real-life situations to teach you and your dog practical skills.
- Based upon our 20 years of proven techniques training our Wind River Bear Institute Karelian Bear Dogs.
- Offering Private Lessons, Board & Train, and Group Classes!
- Cageless boarding
- Small, structured play groups
- Enhanced socialization & day training options
- Stress-free, natural environment
- Outside of the city
- HUGE, grassy yards
- Nightly “snuggle-downs”
- Staff on site all night
- Train your own dog or adopt a temperament-assessed shelter dog
- Training for physical and psychiatric disabilities
- Owner Training through private lessons AND Board & Train available
- Accessible & affordable, with a great support system
- Join a family related by Dog that values the daily presence of four-legged friends.
- All proceeds from our training and boarding services go to support our wildlife-saving work with our Karelian Bear Dogs
- Our Mission: “To conduct meaningful work in the realm of animal to human communication and coexistence…” (Visit the Wind River Bear Institute)
Located Just 12 Minutes South of Missoulabetween Lolo and Florence, in the beautiful Bitterroot Valley!
Wind River Tails & Trails
5353 E. Carlton Creek Rd.
PO Box 1299
Florence, MT 59833
Phone: (406) 273-4899
Fax: (406) 273-4752
Boarding & Daycare Hours:
Drop Off & Pick Up Hours – 8-10AM, 12-1PM, 5-7PM
By appointment. Call or email to schedule!
Office Hours: Variable. We are in and out training and supervising the kennel. Please leave a voicemail or shoot us an email if you don’t reach us and we will return messages as quickly as possible!